Thursday, April 28, 2005

The one where he became childish...

I cannot believe how grown up I have not gotten. I have not aged a bit, and have not looked back... er, forward. Today my RA was passing out the little door hanger things that we have to check off when I complete each item. "All perishable foods removed from room and refrigerator" or "All appliances unplugged." So, while she was still standing there, using the residence life pen she just gave me, I proceeded to edit the sheet. It now read, "All perishable foods removed from room and refrigerator and placed on floor and walls." and "All appliances broken." Man, I seriously have not done a single thing, since the 5th grade, to better my attitude in front of people of authority.

Actually, that's a load of shit. When, put in a position when I need to act as if I were 19 years old, I do generally do that. Job interviews, classroom settings (except pfennings - came late to that class just about every day - right tony?), doctor's appointments, and meeting people for the first time - yeah, about that last one - when have I ever not made a fool of myself when I meet someone for the first time? Some small part of me comes out that is just down right embarassing. But - there is now evidence that there is some sense to all of this. If when I meet a new person, and my little "thing" of the evening comes out - a part of my persona that is different, weird, or unusual (same thing, 3 different words) - and this person thinks that it is funny, or entertaining, or intriguing in any way, they laugh, if only for the moment, and perhaps begin to be my friend. Or maybe it's some little thing that I do, or "am" to you that makes you think that I'm an ok person to hang out with. So go back to when you first met me - what was that one thing or list of things that was intriguing enough for you that made you say "hey, I think i'll talk to that kid again" or "wow, that was freaking stupid... but that's ok." I think it'll be entertaining to say the least. If you were to tell me what that thing was, you could share the entertainment with me as well. That would be fun :-D

Oh, and i studied today. Kinda.

~mendick

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm, let's see...the first time i met you was at junior prom, and i thought you were a cool kid, except for the fact that you didn't stop sucking amanda's face the entire night. *gives ctrl+7 aim face*

oh, and by the way:

"If when I meet a new person, and my little "thing" of the evening comes out - a part of my persona that is different, weird, or unusual (same thing, 3 different words) - and this person thinks that it is funny, or entertaining, or intriguing in any way, they laugh, if only for the moment, and perhaps begin to be my friend."

that totally sounds like you're talking about your penis. nicely done!

Anonymous said...

Comments, hmmmm, it's becoming my "thing" (eh mendick?). anyway, without further ado I will continue on with my comment... so when I first met matt he was indeed very strange (nervous i'm sure, but rightfully so) but not only that, but enroute to dinner with him and his family he and his sister fell asleep so that first day I became aquainted with mr. and mrs. mendick...hmmmm somehow that does not seem right. But the bottom line is because of his strange antics (just ask if you'd like to know) i felt comfortable around him, knowing that the next 8 months of my life weren't going to be that bad (and believe me i was nervous ahead of time). that "thing" is part of who he is and that's great...

p.s. does it not seem like when he says "thing" he's refering to his penis? go back to that section with that thought in mind and read it again i think you'll enjoy it ;-)

Eric Richie said...

even though I knew you first semester in IS 10 and 12 I only breifly talked to you, I guess it wasn't really until good ole 15 when we were in the same group that I really started talking to you, can't quite place when I decided that you were a "cool guy" but I enjoyed hanging out at the lab (even if you did accuse me of hitting on the one TA), but hey, definately glad I met ya man, next year's gonna be even better (I can just feel it)

btw, you don't have a "thing", you have many, you seem to be very... ummm... "free" with information at times, might want to watch out for that cause you know how it's gotten you in trouble from time to time

Blog Archive